Federal law guarantees that college students have general, but not unlimited, access to educational records maintained by the college. The law guarantees that the privacy of these records will be protected.

Northern Vermont University policy requires that we conform to federal law in this matter.

You can get a complete copy of the college policy at the Registrar’s Office on your home campus.

What Rights Does FERPA Protect?

Once a student reaches the age of 18 or attends a postsecondary institution, their educational records are subject to FERPA, the federal law that governs release of and access to student education records, and certain rights are afforded to the student.

A student’s rights under FERPA include:

  • The right to inspect and review his educational record within a reasonable time after the request is made
  • The right to request an amendment of their education record if they believe it is inaccurate or misleading
  • The right to consent to disclosure of their educational record if they believe it is inaccurate or misleading
  • The right to consent to disclosure of their educational record, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent
  • The right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA

Examples of information protected by this act include the following:

  • Academic Performance (good/bad grades)
  • Disciplinary Cases (judicial problems)
  • Finances (financial records, Business Office matters, etc.)
  • Personal matters

How to Authorize Access to Educational Records

Students should discuss this issue with their parents or guardians. Students can grant access to their information by filling out an Information Release Form, available in the Office of the Dean of Students, Registrar’s Office, or by logging into the Vermont State Colleges System Portal and locating the Student Academic Profile section in the Web Services menu. Once signed, this form will be valid until the student leaves Northern Vermont University or signs a new release form.

If you choose to complete a paper form, the completed release form should be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Students on your home campus.